You can post a question only up to 7 days from the date of the webinar.
You can continue to post comments and stay informed, compliant, and profitable.
Close
This session has expired.
Register for our upcoming webinars & continue to get coding, compliance & reimbursement updates.
Close

Vote
3 Followers Follow
Posted By Danielle Levy on 02-20-2019, 15:02:23 in Ob-Gyn
Melanie ,
Out physician performed a LSC bilateral salpingectomy and (L) oopherectomy as well. There were also adhesions to the sigmoid and omentum . Please see attached operative report . Would I only code 58661 and place a 22 modifier or Could I bill for the adhesions separately with modifier (59) . I thought I read somewhere that we can now place a (59) modifier to get additional payment only when the documentation and dictaiton indicates over and above additional work, however haven't seen any publications on that . Please advise how to code and if I am correct about modifier 59
Files Attached:
Download all
  1. OP REPORT.pdf
Comments (1)
Posted By Melanie Witt on 02-21-2019, 17:25:26
According to the most recent CCI file, both 44180 (laparoscopic lysis of bowel adhesions) and 58660 (laparoscopic lysis of adhesions to the adnexa) are bundled into 58661 and no modifier is allowed. Only if you have good documentation outlining the additional work should you add a modifier -22 to 58661. But usually the payer wants to know how much more work it really was and the op report does not mention how this surgery was harder in terms of time - something that should go in a letter to the payer when asking for more money using the -22. He also does not describe the adhesions very well- they could just as well have been filmy as thick and difficult to remove.
Do you want to remove this attachment from this post?
Yes No
Do you want to add this specialty to your selected specialty list?
Yes No
To comment, please register for any of our webinars. Click here to register for our upcoming webinars.
Close
This comment will be permanently deleted. Do you still want to continue?
Yes No
Do you want to remove this comment from this discussion?
Yes No
Do you want to block this user from participating in this discussion?
Yes No
Do you want to allow this user to participate in this discussion?
Yes No
This post will not be available for further discussion/comments if deleted. Do you still want to continue?
Yes No