You can post a question only up to 7 days from the date of the webinar.
You can continue to post comments and stay informed, compliant, and profitable.
Close
This session has expired.
Register for our upcoming webinars & continue to get coding, compliance & reimbursement updates.
Close

Vote
2 Followers Follow
Posted By Maria on 11-15-2018, 09:15:05 in Ob-Gyn
Hey Melanie,

First thing, thanks so much for all your help recently.

I would not even know where to start with out your help. :)

I know this not your area of expertise, but one of my OBs has asked me this question.

Her hubby is a dentist and is paying an anesthesiologist (flat fee) for procedures done in dental office setting (POS 11) Thus the anesthesiologist will not bill.

The dentist then wants to submit a claim for the service, under the anesthesiologist's name/numbers, and documentation, but of course, payment to the dental practice.

The majority of these services will be for Medicaid patients. (Not sure if that is important information)

I think my CPT code will be 00170 on 1500 form

I am reading about time, units, modifiers, etc...still not totally clear but making some sense.

But my worry is how does the payer know where to send the payment if the anesthesiologist is working several POS?

Claim will be under TIN of dental practice, is that what drives where the payment is sent?

Do you know if the anesthesiologist would needed to be added on to TIN of dental practice?

If you happen to know, or have any suggestions, I would certainly appreciate.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Maria

Comments (1)
Posted By Melanie Witt on 12-06-2018, 14:32:51
Access this article: https://www.aaoms.org/images/uploads/pdfs/anesthesia.pdf. For dental procedures in the dentist's office you use CDT codes (D codes), not CPT code for anesthesia and many payers include the anesthesia (local numbing is always included). As each payer policy may be different (ie, DeltaDental versus Medicaid, versus MetLife, etc) each payer policy will need to be checked for coverage rules and applicable codes and circumstances (including billing on behalf of the anesthesiologist). Also references the following which deals with general Medicaid coverage/payment for dental services with information about restrictions per State: https://www.macpac.gov/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Medicaid-Coverage-of-Dental-Benefits-for-Adults.pdf
Do you want to remove this attachment from this post?
Yes No
Do you want to add this specialty to your selected specialty list?
Yes No
To comment, please register for any of our webinars. Click here to register for our upcoming webinars.
Close
This comment will be permanently deleted. Do you still want to continue?
Yes No
Do you want to remove this comment from this discussion?
Yes No
Do you want to block this user from participating in this discussion?
Yes No
Do you want to allow this user to participate in this discussion?
Yes No
This post will not be available for further discussion/comments if deleted. Do you still want to continue?
Yes No