You can post a question only up to 7 days from the date of the webinar.
You can continue to post comments and stay informed, compliant, and profitable.
Close
This session has expired.
Register for our upcoming webinars & continue to get coding, compliance & reimbursement updates.
Close

Vote
4 Followers Follow
Posted By Angie Bouchard on 07-01-2019, 14:10:09 in Ob-Gyn
Good afternoon Melanie,

I was reading the 6/2019 AAPC Healthcare Business Monthly and there's an article regarding catching typical OB/GYN mistakes. One of the scenarios it mentions is when a patient during her postpartum period decides to discuss birth control methods with her provider and it's decided on and scheduled that this is separately billable with an E/M and modifier 24. From what I have always read, birth control discussions were always bundled with routine postpartum care and bundled with global charge. Has something with this changed recently? Thank you for your kind assistance.

Kind regards,
Angie
Comments (1)
Posted By Melanie Witt on 07-01-2019, 16:49:39
I would be interested to know who wrote the article so I can have this information corrected. I also once had to correct an article for AAPC that stated you could use a modifier -24 in the antepartum period - just saying. Per ACOG (and they, not the AAPC, are the authority here), discussions with the patient regarding birth control following delivery are part of the routine postpartum care. And in fact, an ACOG coding opinion published in May 2018 by the Presidential Task Force on Redefining the Postpartum Visit The Committee on Obstetric Practice states the following: It is recommended that all women have contact with their obstetrician–gynecologists or other obstetric care providers within the first 3 weeks postpartum. This initial assessment should be followed up with ongoing care as needed, concluding with a comprehensive postpartum visit no later than 12 weeks after birth. The comprehensive postpartum visit should include a full assessment of physical, social, and psychological well-being, including the following domains: mood and emotional well-being; infant care and feeding; sexuality, contraception, and birth spacing; sleep and fatigue; physical recovery from birth; chronic disease management; and health maintenance.
Do you want to remove this attachment from this post?
Yes No
Do you want to add this specialty to your selected specialty list?
Yes No
To comment, please register for any of our webinars. Click here to register for our upcoming webinars.
Close
This comment will be permanently deleted. Do you still want to continue?
Yes No
Do you want to remove this comment from this discussion?
Yes No
Do you want to block this user from participating in this discussion?
Yes No
Do you want to allow this user to participate in this discussion?
Yes No
This post will not be available for further discussion/comments if deleted. Do you still want to continue?
Yes No