You can post a question only up to 7 days from the date of the webinar.
You can continue to post comments and stay informed, compliant, and profitable.
Close
This session has expired.
Register for our upcoming webinars & continue to get coding, compliance & reimbursement updates.
Close

Vote
4 Followers Follow
Posted By Angie Bouchard on 06-06-2019, 13:09:07 in Ob-Gyn
Good afternoon Melanie,

I have always typically coded off pathology when there was a more definitive dx than the indication, on surgeries and colpos/LEEPS etc. In discussing with another coder, they told me they didn't code off path. I asked another and got this response, "generally for in office procedures the diagnosis code should be the original indication for the procedure. If the path report changes the diagnosis that is accounted for the next time the patient is seen. I have never waited for a path report for a colpo. We generally code what is known at the end of the encounter, and since path generally takes a few days that is an unknown. If the dx changes after the colpo it becomes part of the patient record and is addressed in follow up encounters". So my question is: when do we code off the pathology reports, if we do (except for skin lesion removals) and if we do, does this apply across the board or do we always code off the provider indication at the end of the visit despite a more definitive diagnosis? Is there any information to support when to code off pathology and when you code off provider indication? I appreciate your kind assistance and additional feedback.
Comments (1)
Posted By Melanie Witt on 06-15-2019, 19:06:25
I always advise coding from the path report for hospital procedures and any biopsy procedures where the type of lesion would dictate the billing code. For instance, we just had one question where the MD indicated he cauterized hemorrhoids but the path report came back as polyps - can't use the hemorrhoid code therefore. For some diagnostic procedures done in the office, the reason for doing the procedure can be billed instead of waiting for the path report if the code for the procedure would not change because of it. ICD10 only requires that you indicate the most definitive diagnosis at the time of service. Now if your doc did a biopsy with an instant result so that when the patient left you knew a more definitive diagnosis, that is the one you would use. And of course, if the doc suspected a condition, but the biopsy came back normal, you still code the reason for it.
Do you want to remove this attachment from this post?
Yes No
Do you want to add this specialty to your selected specialty list?
Yes No
To comment, please register for any of our webinars. Click here to register for our upcoming webinars.
Close
This comment will be permanently deleted. Do you still want to continue?
Yes No
Do you want to remove this comment from this discussion?
Yes No
Do you want to block this user from participating in this discussion?
Yes No
Do you want to allow this user to participate in this discussion?
Yes No
This post will not be available for further discussion/comments if deleted. Do you still want to continue?
Yes No