You can post a question only up to 7 days from the date of the webinar.
You can continue to post comments and stay informed, compliant, and profitable.
Close
This session has expired.
Register for our upcoming webinars & continue to get coding, compliance & reimbursement updates.
Close

Vote
4 Followers Follow
Posted By Cathy on 05-30-2019, 09:39:29 in Ob-Gyn
Melanie...We performed an EMB on 5/1 and the path report came back with Endometrium, biopsy-single, minuscule fragment of endometrium, insufficient for evaluation of endometrial pathology; fragments of unremarkable endocervical mucosa and mucus.
We repeated the EMB on 5/23/19 with successful sampling/pathology. Should we bill for the first one with modifier 52 or bill an office visit instead? If we can bill for both, what diagnosis code represents insufficient sampling? The only codes I can find are for inadequate smears.

Everytime I attempt a search in this forum I don't get results, I get a message that it has timed out. Is there a secret to searching the archives? Thank you, Cathy Satkus, CPC Harvard Family Physicians
Comments (1)
Posted By Melanie Witt on 06-04-2019, 16:15:33
You do not add a modifier -52 to the first EMB because you actually performed the procedure - the fact that the sample was inadequate is not linked to completion of the procedure. The payer will decide if you can bill for both, but I would use the modifier for a repeat procedure on the second one (-76). As to a diagnosis, I can find nothing that applies so simply list the reason for the EMB initially and then have documentation ready to go in explanation of the circumstance.
Do you want to remove this attachment from this post?
Yes No
Do you want to add this specialty to your selected specialty list?
Yes No
To comment, please register for any of our webinars. Click here to register for our upcoming webinars.
Close
This comment will be permanently deleted. Do you still want to continue?
Yes No
Do you want to remove this comment from this discussion?
Yes No
Do you want to block this user from participating in this discussion?
Yes No
Do you want to allow this user to participate in this discussion?
Yes No
This post will not be available for further discussion/comments if deleted. Do you still want to continue?
Yes No