You can post a question only up to 7 days from the date of the webinar.
You can continue to post comments and stay informed, compliant, and profitable.
Close
This session has expired.
Register for our upcoming webinars & continue to get coding, compliance & reimbursement updates.
Close

Vote
1 Followers Follow
Posted By Gracie Ermitano on 02-20-2018, 21:23:39 in Ob-Gyn
Hi Melanie i just want to confirm if the visit status post delivery of a dead fetus at 36 wks is billable as a separate visit. The patient was seen at the time of delivery only at 36 wks ( no prenatal visits) due to IUFD with provider billing for a vaginal delivery code 59409 with dx code O36.4XX0, Z3A.36 and Z37.1. Then 13 days post delivery pt was seen again and per notes discussion of lab results. Provider billed for a 99204-24 and insurance denying the visit for invalid modifier. Biller called and was advised to change the 99204 to mod 58 which is not correct. Provider gave the dx linkages as O09.299 with the EHR description of history of fetal death (this is a supervision of dx code and not to be used when the pt already delivered), D68.59 for protein S deficiency and N89.8 for leukorrhea. With protein S deficiency it is a rare inherited thrombophilia often associated with pregnancy losses and intrauterine fetal death. Leukorrhea or vaginal discharge is an expected finding and will continue through the postpartum unless significant. Provider spent 40 minutes counseling with extensive discussion of etiologies of iUFD; lab results reviewed in detail and will recheck thrombophilia panel. Advised closed follow-up for the next succeeding pregnancies. Is this is a billable visit and if so pt would be an established patient? Thank you very much. Very respectfully, Gracie
Comments (1)
Posted By Melanie Witt on 02-21-2018, 15:09:16
I am not sure why you billed a modifier at all. 59409 only includes the delivery and NO postpartum visits (either inpatient or outpatient). The usual global days do not apply to this code. Now if they objected to 99204 since he was the delivering MD I could see that because technically he did provide a face-to-face service to this patient within the past 3 years even though the admission H&P is bundled into 59409. This definitely is a billable service, but as I said, no modifier should have been added to the 99204.
Do you want to remove this attachment from this post?
Yes No
Do you want to add this specialty to your selected specialty list?
Yes No
To comment, please register for any of our webinars. Click here to register for our upcoming webinars.
Close
This comment will be permanently deleted. Do you still want to continue?
Yes No
Do you want to remove this comment from this discussion?
Yes No
Do you want to block this user from participating in this discussion?
Yes No
Do you want to allow this user to participate in this discussion?
Yes No
This post will not be available for further discussion/comments if deleted. Do you still want to continue?
Yes No