You can post a question only up to 7 days from the date of the webinar.
You can continue to post comments and stay informed, compliant, and profitable.
Close
This session has expired.
Register for our upcoming webinars & continue to get coding, compliance & reimbursement updates.
Close

Vote
1 Followers Follow
Posted By Gracie Ermitano on 01-12-2018, 03:35:45 in Ob-Gyn
Good afternoon Melanie! Happy holidays to you! I am wondering if we have certain guidelines for other physicians covering for surgery. The scenario was was that another physician from a different group practice covering for another physician. Billing provider different from the provider's name on the dictation and they belong to different group practice. Any information you may have, can you kindly share it with me? Thank you. Respectfully, Gracie
Comments (1)
Posted By Melanie Witt on 01-12-2018, 14:18:19
Unlike global OB which is an all inclusive service, surgery is a one-on-one event by the surgeon who performs it, not whose patient it is. In global ob inclusive billing the payer does not care who does the actual delivery so long as there is some agreement in place that the covering MD is accepting the idea that he/she will not be billing and the money goes to the practice. In surgical cases, however, if the covering MD ended up performing surgery he/she would bill for that surgery under their own NPI, not that of the original physician and only the operating surgeon should be dictating/signing off on the operative note. As to who gets paid, that will be up to the payer and I hope you have a formal agreement in place for this covering. However, keep in mind that if the covering MD is not credentialed with the payer, no agreement will get you paid. There are no black and white guidelines for this as each payer is different, but this is what my experience with these cases has taught me. There are also legal implications for a physician who performs the procedure, but allows another to dictate the operative note as if they had done it. Be very careful here is my best advice.
Do you want to remove this attachment from this post?
Yes No
Do you want to add this specialty to your selected specialty list?
Yes No
To comment, please register for any of our webinars. Click here to register for our upcoming webinars.
Close
This comment will be permanently deleted. Do you still want to continue?
Yes No
Do you want to remove this comment from this discussion?
Yes No
Do you want to block this user from participating in this discussion?
Yes No
Do you want to allow this user to participate in this discussion?
Yes No
This post will not be available for further discussion/comments if deleted. Do you still want to continue?
Yes No