You can post a question only up to 7 days from the date of the webinar.
You can continue to post comments and stay informed, compliant, and profitable.
Close
This session has expired.
Register for our upcoming webinars & continue to get coding, compliance & reimbursement updates.
Close

Vote
0 Followers Follow
Posted By Mary Peabody on 03-15-2020, 18:44:56 in Ob-Gyn
Hello Melanie,

On the table of risk, would a diagnosis of endometrial cancer or ovarian cancer requiring open surgery make the risk high under the table of risk? I have a physician that thinks the MDM is high if the patient has ovarian, uterine cancer and requires open surgery and wants to code these visits as 99205.

The same provider thinks that all follow up visits for cancer surveillance be reported using code 99214 for up to 5 years. I tried to explain to the provider that the level of service is based on documentation and not a blanket level of service for follow up for cancer. How can I explain this better to the provider?
Comments (1)
Posted By Melanie Witt on 03-16-2020, 16:23:01
If she has made up his mind, you will have problems with this. Medical decision making can be high if the cancer is life threatening at the time of care (and he also performed a comprehensive exam and history on a new patient. But once treatment has been completed MDM drops from high to moderate immediately following surgery until the patient has recovered from surgery, and then drops further to low complexity if the patient is cancer free. But as you say, the documentation has to make of break it and we are approaching the new rule for 2021 where MDM or total time will be the determining factors.
Do you want to remove this attachment from this post?
Yes No
Do you want to add this specialty to your selected specialty list?
Yes No
To comment, please register for any of our webinars. Click here to register for our upcoming webinars.
Close
This comment will be permanently deleted. Do you still want to continue?
Yes No
Do you want to remove this comment from this discussion?
Yes No
Do you want to block this user from participating in this discussion?
Yes No
Do you want to allow this user to participate in this discussion?
Yes No
This post will not be available for further discussion/comments if deleted. Do you still want to continue?
Yes No