You can post a question only up to 7 days from the date of the webinar.
You can continue to post comments and stay informed, compliant, and profitable.
Close
This session has expired.
Register for our upcoming webinars & continue to get coding, compliance & reimbursement updates.
Close

Vote
3 Followers Follow
Posted By Danielle Levy on 12-21-2020, 12:18:46 in Ob-Gyn
second request :
Melanie ,
Good morning,
patient admitted into hospital on 12/05/20 for premature rupture membranes and has a vaginal delivery of twin A @ 22 weeks on 12/09/20( at time of delivery9:38am, baby alive , however passed away @11:15AM) twin B still intact . How would I bill for this delivery . Would I bill global vaginal delivery for twin A and when twin B is delivered bill vaginal only ? Also what ICD -10 code could I use for delivery ( would it be fetal loss /retention of one fetus ) .
Also pt still in hospital and physicians rounding on her daily . do I still place a 24 modifier on the hospital visits ?
Thanks in advance
Comments (4)
Posted By Melanie Witt on 12-27-2020, 16:39:54
You are probably not going to get paid for the day of or day after delivery as that would be considered part of PP care for twin A, after that you should bill but now it is no longer routine care.
Posted By Melanie Witt on 12-27-2020, 16:39:53
You are probably not going to get paid for the day of or day after delivery as that would be considered part of PP care for twin A, after that you should bill but now it is no longer routine care.
Posted By Danielle Levy on 12-23-2020, 13:15:55
Melanie, Thank you for your input . I will get with my providers and see what they think. When you say the extra visits can be billed up to 24hours... What happens after the 24hours as the patient is currently still in the hospital with baby b and probalbly will be until delivery of twin B
Posted By Melanie Witt on 12-23-2020, 13:10:40
The diagnostic code for continuing pregnancy of twins do not fit this situation. There is one for spontaneous abortion, but as this was a 22 week pregnancy, that definition does not apply. And the other one is for elective fetal reduction which also does not apply. There is code O63.2 for delayed delivery of second twin, but that is under the heading of delayed labor and it appears the patient is no longer in labor. This case is very difficult and you may have to spend time preparing supporting documentation. You have the option of breaking up the global package into it's component parts are billing the delivery only code for the first twin and the global code for the second twin. But when you do that you will have to explain as it will appear you are double dipping to an insurance computer. The extra visits can be billed up to 24 hours prior to the delivery of the second twin, but be sure to report a code that shows the maternal complications at this point. I think you and your providers are going to have to sit down together to get the best picture that accurately describes the need for continuing inpatient care as there are no clearly black and white codes that fit this scenario.
Do you want to remove this attachment from this post?
Yes No
Do you want to add this specialty to your selected specialty list?
Yes No
To comment, please register for any of our webinars. Click here to register for our upcoming webinars.
Close
This comment will be permanently deleted. Do you still want to continue?
Yes No
Do you want to remove this comment from this discussion?
Yes No
Do you want to block this user from participating in this discussion?
Yes No
Do you want to allow this user to participate in this discussion?
Yes No
This post will not be available for further discussion/comments if deleted. Do you still want to continue?
Yes No